I have a question...have you ever been watching a movie or television show and it seems like the whole cast was wearing cheap wigs? Unfortunately, I have also witnessed people in real life wearing the same type of wigs.
Now you may be wondering or asking yourself, what constitutes a "bad" or "cheap" wig. Well I'm glad you asked, let me tell you!
You see, a wig can be affordable and not look like a mop or a rug, cheap doesn't describe the cost. Case and point, there are also expensive wigs out there that look and perform like the "cheap" ones.
Cheap or bad describes the quality of the wig based on how well it looks, performs and fits.
Will it tangle, matte or shed easily are all things to beware of when wig shopping. You see, wig manufacturers know how to package and market wigs well enough for the consumer to buy and then it becomes a nightmare! So don't be fooled by some of your well-known brands, they also make wigs that are not up to the test. (I won't name names here).
When you make the decision to buy a wig, consider these 5 things:
1) How does the wig look? Will the style enhance your appearance? It's best to have an idea of the type of style you're searching for before going online or ins-store shopping for a wig. It can be overwhelming with the number of choices out there.
2) How does the wig fit and feel? The disadvantage to shopping online is that you don't get to touch the hair to see how soft and manageable it feels. You could rely on those YouTube reviews but it's always best to try it our for yourself. Take a trip to a local beauty store and take a look at the wigs to get an idea of what you want, touch it or maybe even try one on.
3) Determine how much you want to spend before shopping. Listen ladies, we are emotional beings when it comes to our hair! We will sacrifice the bag to have our hair looking nice and saving us time from styling and maintenance. I get it, but don't go broke trying to buy something you're not even sure you like. Wigs are an investment no matter how expensive or inexpensive but be sure you are investing in something worthwhile.
4) Try it on! If you can try on a wig before buying it....do it! I always tell my potential clients to try a similar style of wig on first just to be sure you like the way it looks on you. Ladies, we are quick to see something on one person and think that we can pull it off! Well, sometimes that doesn't work out and then we lose faith and give up on the whole idea. So try it on first!
5) Last but not least, please understand that you will need to customize your wig once you buy it. So many people have said, "it didn't look the same on me" Well yeah, you have to work with it and make it fit your style once you take it out of that bag. Wigs that have been packed away in a box or a bag need time to relax so that you can see the style. You may to add product or maybe even trim a new wig but don't be discouraged because it doesn't look the way you want it to right away!
As with anything ladies, do your research before you buy! If you know you only want to spend $20 for a wig please understand that sometimes you do get exactly what you pay for. Planning and education is the key to making the best purchase decision.
Join our site to get notifications of new blog postings!